Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NaBloPoMo Beginnings Day 8

What is my earliest memory?

It's a toss up around the same time period. When I was four, I fell out of a tree house and was knocked unconscious. When I came to, I couldn't see...anything. I was completely blind. I am told that I was completely calm and to be honest I don't remember being freaked out. I kept asking who was talking and my mom thought that I couldn't remember but I nonchalantly told her that I couldn't see. I remember having to say it over and over. There was lots of holding things, fingers, food, etc. in front of my face to which I would have to tell her I didn't know what they were because I couldn't see. My mom, of course, was hysterical while I was calm, cool, collected. Looking back, we attributed my reaction to my watching a TON of Little House on the Prairie and Mary going blind. Interesting theory, but who knows?!
At any rate, I was taken to the hospital, woke up vomiting and eventually regained my eyesight. I will say that my first memory after I got my sight back was of a little girl across the room from me, pulling out her feeding tube. That is something I will never forget.

Some of my other favorite earliest memories are of my grandfather who died when I was four. I would always steal his recliner and he would come at me, shaking his finger. He couldn't holler at me to get out because he had mouth cancer. I don't remember him without his bandages. But I remember how much he loved to tease me about being in his chair. I remember how he loved to give me any change that was in his pockets. I remember how much he loved the Cubs and I would sit on his chair and he would slap the arm of his chair when they messed up and he would lift me up when they did well and we would clap! Most of all, even though I was so young and only knew him a short 4 years, I remember how much he loved me.

No comments: